Become an Owl Team Leader
Become an Owl Team Leader
Why will you fly in to Owl Team? Are you looking to welcome the next entering class at Temple University? Are you excited to learn and grow in a collaborative team environment while showing your pride for being a Temple Owl? Apply to be an Owl Team Leader!
Owl Team Leader Applications for the 2018 Owl Team are closed!! Interested in applying for Owl Team 2019? Fill out this form and check back next September!
Owl Team Leader Position Description
- Guide and welcome students and their family members to Temple University’s campus
- Engage students and their family members in all aspects of the Orientation Program
- Serve as a positive role model and representative of Temple University
- Facilitate small group discussions and icebreakers
- Work with family members and support systems of incoming students to assist in their transition
- Introduce students and families to the services, programs, resources, and involvement opportunities available at Temple University
- Work cooperatively with all Temple University faculty, staff, administration, and students
- Assist with all aspects of summer orientation including, but not limited to, session prep, check-in and check-out, escorting students and families around campus, set-up/tear-down, office duties, participation in meals and evening activities, advising and course registration, crisis response, and other tasks assigned by the Office of Orientation, New Student & Family Programs
- Live in assigned Residence Hall during overnight sessions and throughout the Summer
- Adhere to the Office of Orientation, New Student & Family Programs policies, the University’s Student Conduct Code, and all national, state, and local laws throughout the duration of your employment
- Participate in Welcome Week events and Convocation
- Assist with the recruitment of the 2019 Owl Team
- Assist with the execution of Parent and Family Weekend
- Assist with the development and implementation of programs to engage new students beyond their experience at orientation
- Full time undergraduate enrollment at Temple University for Spring 2018 and Fall 2018 semesters
- Good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of application and throughout the duration of your employment
- First Year/Freshmen Applicants Only: Cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 or higher at the time of application and cumulative Temple GPA of 2.75 or higher throughout the duration of employment
- Second Year & Higher Applicants Only: Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher at the time of application and throughout the duration of employment.
- Participation in and completion of the Owl Team Spring Leadership Course, summer trainings and meetings, all Summer 2018 Orientation Sessions (new student, parent and family, transfer, and international student) and Welcome Week and Convocation
- Participation in the 2018 Parent and Family Weekend events and other engagement opportunities throughout the Fall 2018 semester for new students and their families
Work Schedule and Terms of Employment:
Please note: Exact dates of Owl Team training, Orientation sessions, and other Owl Team responsibilities are subject to change. Attendance at all scheduled Owl Team functions is mandatory. Tentative dates are as follows:
- Owl Team Leadership Course: TBA
- Owl Team Overnight Retreat: Concurrent with summer training
- Move-In: Late May
- Owl Team Training: Late May - Early June
- Orientation Sessions: Mid June – Mid August (Monday-Friday)
- Professional Development and Team Building workshops: Wednesdays throughout the Summer
- Transfer Student Orientation Sessions: Throughout the Summer
- Welcome Week: Late August 2018
- Owl Team 2019 Recruitment: September and October 2018
- Parent and Family Weekend: September or October 2018
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation for Owl Team 2018 equals approximately $5000.
- Stipend of $3,000 (before taxes)
- Housing in a University Residence Hall (worth $1150)
- Summer meal plan/stipend (worth approx. $500)
- Owl Team Leader apparel and supplies
Application and Selection Process:
- Completed applications include the following:
- Owl Team Leader Application Form (located on Owl Connect)
- Responses to essay questions (located on Owl Connect)
- One letter of recommendation (NOT from family members or peers)
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
- Completed applications are due no later than Friday, October 6th, 2018 by 5:00pm online and in the Office of Orientation, New Student & Family Programs (Student Center, Suite 318).
- All applicants will be notified through email by Wednesday, October 11th, 2018 as to whether or not they have been selected to attend a group interview.